Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thrifty me!

So the other day I pulled out my favorite black skirt only to find that the zipper was broken. I had just worn in a few weeks ago, and I was disappointed. Here is my favorite skirt, and I don't have money to replace it. So instead of tossing the skirt, I bought a zipper for a buck and sewed in the new one. Only I don't have a great history with my sewing machine. I know how to sew, and I have made a few things in my day, but the memory of last year lingers in my thumb.

Last year I got the brilliant idea to make my kids Halloween costumes. I say brilliant facetiously, because it ended up to be my worst nightmare. As I was sewing Yoda's hood on his cape, I placed my left thumb too close to the machine. (I do have to preface that this machine is not a fancy Bernina, or Singer, it is the low-end model bought at a mass merchandise store, not at a sewing store, and to boot it was a hand-me-down.) Well that awful machine bit my thumb. Yes, I was home with my two boys, and had a needle broken in my thumb with thread coming out the hole.


I did what I could, I called my mom. Now I know my mom lives almost 2,000 miles away, but I needed her. She told me to call the doctor, and the doctor told me to go to the emergency room to meet her there for her shift. So I went to the emergency room and sat for several hours; apparently a needle in the thumb is not quite life threatening enough to do something about. Long story short; I was sent home, (needle still in thumb) scheduled for surgery the next day, surgery was not great, (still left small part of needle in the thumb that surfaced six weeks later) and had three nasty stitches for two weeks. Even today, my thumb is not quite the same, but I can live with it.


Well, in so many words, I am not friends with my sewing machine, but I won. I sewed in the new zipper, and even though it is not perfect I can still wear my favorite skirt! Yippee for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment