Friday, October 15, 2010

Take two of these and call me in two weeks

My husband came home from class and complained that his neck was extremely sore, painful and stiff. We decided he needed to see a doctor, but with his classes and his doctor being an hour away, he went to an after-hour clinic, not to his PCP. After an exam to rule out anything life threatening they ordered x-rays and sent him home with muscle relaxers. He felt off and on better and we didn't think too much about it. (Maybe his class was so boring he fell asleep and he got whiplash!!) No, just kidding, not really. We got the results and come to find out he has degenerative arthritis in his spine. I about cried, we are only in our mid thirties! This happens to old people, well I guess not really old, but much older than us...right?
We had a follow up appointment with his PCP, a doctor he hadn't yet seen, and she seemed very apathetic to our concerns. I guess she didn't realize that this was our first diagnosis with the disease and it really bothers us. My husband is young, at a healthy weight, and he eats fairly well. He really doesn't have the risk factors for arthritis, yet he is diagnosed with it. What bothers me the most is the doctor's blasé attitude toward his condition. She seemed almost annoyed by my questions concerning his health. I felt shoved aside like an old pill bottle as she pursed her lips and retorted, "hopefully he feels better in two weeks." I thought well isn't it nice that it is not your body, or your husband that is going through pain so young. Isn't it nice that you don't think he needs more test to rule out other problems, or other more serious types of arthritis. She gave me a look as if to say I am the woman who went to eight years of school and four years of residency, don't question my thought or diagnosis. I do respect doctor's hard work and diligence, I am related to several doctors, however the apathetic attitude (at least as I saw it) was enough to drive us crazy.
"Well," my good-natured husband said, "Ritkiss sweatie, (sweatie=a term of endearment, for another story) guess we'll see how I feel in two weeks."
AARRGGGHHH!!!!

2 comments:

  1. My uncle has that - and with the right medication and management he is living a full life. (Shoot - the man runs marathons!!!) He does have a hard time sleeping through the night - but that is normally his only complaint. He has had it for about 15 years - diagnosed about the same time as your hubby. Hang in there - I think he says that working out and keeping the rest of your body healthy really makes a big difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. We will make it, my hubby has a great attitude and pulls us through. We hope to find a doctor that can give us more information and help.

    ReplyDelete