Thursday, September 16, 2010

The problem with hand washing dishes…

Most of the time I don’t really mind washing dishes. We have been without a dishwasher for two years and counting. I have got a system and for the most part it works. Wash all the dishes at night after dinner and clear out the dish drain in the morning for the day. That way I don’t let dishes pile in my sink.
This morning I did not to clear the dish drain, mostly because it wasn’t very full. The few morning dishes would fit. After they were washed the drain look a little loaded, but I was in a hurry to get a shower in after my morning run. I darted upstairs, hopped in the shower, and was getting ready when I heard a pop, and then the tinkling of shattered glass. I ran down the stairs to discover my fear…a tumbler that I set on the side that is supposed to hold glasses had toppled out of its place and fell to the ground. Shards of glass of every size were scattered across the old worn linoleum. I carefully whisked the larger pieces away, hoping to avoid any cuts. I started sweeping the smaller pieces when my darling son appeared on the scene. Somehow broken glass and the two-year-old tornado do not mix. This could get ugly. He screamed as I whisked him away to the connecting living room. He darted back into the picture several times to offer unsolicited help, but was slung under my arm each time for a return trip to the connecting living room area with his feet kicking all the way. Amazingly enough I managed to clean the broken glass, not get cut, and keep a small whirlwind of a boy at bay.
Unfortunately there are no pictures of the mess, (the two-year-old and safety made sure of that) but hopefully you have an image of the fun I had this morning.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an eventful morning! Here's hoping today is a little more relaxing! :)

    ReplyDelete