Tuesday, September 7, 2010

no, No, nO, NO, NO!!

The words I futilely repeated over and over…why did this happen right before I needed to leave. I looked at the clocked 8:18, just enough time to wash the remaining glasses before heading out the door to drop off my son for kindergarten. I washed a glass, 8:19, I picked up the last glass when I heard the rustle from the garbage sack. Not the garbage I just set out after I emptied the rotten contents from my fridge. My reaction time was too slow. My two year old was shaking the remains of the garbage before I could swoop him away. I saw the water bottles bounce and roll against the small hallway, and the limp, tired lettuce leaves weighed down by the dressing flop back and forth against the hall, the cupboards, and finally the floor. Wet diapers from the diaper pail dropped to the floor with a thud. The tissues from the bathroom garbage my five year old son dutifully emptied this morning floated by the old paperwork from school that was no longer needed. The entire contents laughed at me from the freshly mopped floor, “thought you could get a little more done before you left this morning, well we will show you… ha!” To make matters worse, my dreadful son would not stay planted in the connecting living room area, he had to gallop through the sloshy mess. He slipped and fell on the reeking ranch dressing, further spoiling the already past due morning. I stashed the contents back in the sagging sack and carefully stepped by the slippery disaster to beat the 8:30 bell. I would have to duel with the putrid film of discarded leftovers slicked across my floor when I returned.

At least we can finish the day with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment