Friday, March 4, 2011

What's a womanquin?


That's a very good question...one that was asked just a day or two ago by my six-year-old son. Mesmerized by our latest shopping trip he kept looking around at the stores in awe of all the clothes and the lifeless models that so stylishly displayed them.


He asked quizzically, "What are those people that don't move with all those clothes on?"


I said, "Oh them? Those are mannequins."


"So what's that?" He asked pointing to the woman mannequin, "Is that a womanquin?"


I couldn't stop laughing...has he really been that unexposed to shopping that he hasn't seen many mannequins before? I didn't think we had really been that far removed from reality. Now that I think about it Wal-Mart doesn't really have mannequins and with our limited budget from grad school we have been on a very few, in and out shopping trips; only buying the basics. This had been the only leisurely shopping trips I had been on with my kids since we started this back-to-school journey six years ago.


I have hope that my two-year-old won't have to wait that long to discover the world of mannequins.


Keeping my fingers crossed--economy permitting ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment