Thursday, March 17, 2011

#5 Choose Your Comparisons Wisely

I came across a desiderata back in high school that helped me greatly with this concept. "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."

I loved that statement then, and I love it even more now. The world is full of wide spectrum of things. The beautiful thing about life is to become a little better than we were the day before, and if we do that we won't have time to make comparisons.

Right now I think of the widespread challenges in the world and I count myself blessed, and with my abundance of blessings I look to pay it forward. I want to find ways to give to those in need, and as I do I learn so many things. I learn that I don't need to compare to share. I can give and help to even those that seem to have everything, because sometimes the only thing they lack is a friend.

So if you look to compare your life to those around you, I believe that you will always come out dissatisfied. Either unhappy about the things that you do not own, or unwilling to share the bounty of your wealth.

Here is hoping on Saint Patrick's Day that we will all put way the green monster of jealousy and do some introspective thinking about what we can do to lift another.

No comments:

Post a Comment